Would you like to add or edit content here? Here's how you can have an account!
George HW Bush
George H.W. Bush (George Herbert Walker Bush)
Positive Activities Of George HW Bush
- Signed into law: Americans with Disabilities Act, the reauthorization of the Clean Air Act, an expansion of tax credits for families with children.
- Migrated the country away from Reagan's "supply side economics" of cutting taxes on the rich and assuming it would "trickle down" to the middle class (which it did not). Bush called Reagan's plan, "Voodoo Economics." Although later Bush backpedaled on this compromise.
- Picked Dan Quayle as his running mate because they thought his good looks would get the female vote, despite Quayle being about as intelligent as a waffle iron.
- Bush attacked his running mate, Michael Dukakis for such positions as opposing mandatory recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in schools, and being a "card-carrying member of the ACLU".
- Bush was elected over Michael Dukakis in 1988 by resorting to moral panics ("If Kitty Dukakis were raped and murdered...") and attack ads ("Willie Horton"), in one of the nastiest one-sided presidential campaigns in recent history. Ironically Bush campaigned on a vague platform of making the U.S. a "kinder, gentler nation." American politics have never really recovered. 
- Made the famous promise, "read my lips, no new taxes" but ended up raising taxes multiple times.
- George H. W. Bush’s Secretary of the Treasury Catalina Villapando was arrested and sentenced to prison for, of all things, tax evasion and obstruction of justice. To this day, Villapando remains the only sitting treasurer to be sent to prison.
- Presided over the Iran-Contra Affair, illegally selling arms to Iran in the midst of an embargo and hostage crisis. And redistributing money to illegally fund rebel groups in Central America.
- Manuel Noriega, the unelected military strongman of Panama, was ousted by Bush after it became public knowledge that Noriega made drug deals with the US as part of the funding given to the Contras. Bush, as Director of the CIA, blocked investigations into Reagan & Noriega's shadiness. Bush forced him to stand trial, but not for murder, and instead for drug trafficking, money laundering, and racketeering. Noriega had been paid by the CIA to do the things he was accused and convicted of. Eventually, Noriega was tried for murder and convicted... by France.
Other unusual actions
- In 1991, Louisiana had a runoff election between David Duke (R) and Edwin Edwards (D) ("Wizard" vs "Lizard"). Bush threw his hands in the air and endorsed Edwards, unusually for a Republican president, Bush pretty much came out in favor of a Democratic candidate against a Republican. Edwin Edwards would shortly be investigated by the FBI and convicted and sent to prison.
- . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_United_States_presidential_election
- . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read_my_lips:_no_new_taxes
- . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_Vasquez_Villalpando#Investigation
- . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1990s_recession_in_the_United_States
- . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savings_and_loan_crisis
- . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93Contra_affair
- . https://www.nytimes.com/1992/10/04/us/years-later-questions-remain-about-bush-s-role-in-the-iran-contra-affair.html
- . https://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/07/us/the-1991-election-louisiana-bush-denounces-duke-as-racist-and-charlatan.html
The following article is a Work In Progress. At present nobody is working on this article. If nobody is specifically working on this page, you are invited to help edit it and make it better.
This site costs a lot of money in bandwidth and resources. We are glad to bring it to you free, but would you consider helping support our site by making a donation? Any amount would go a long way towards helping us continue to provide this useful service to the community.
Click on the Paypal button below to donate. Your support is most appreciated!