Would you like to add or edit content here? Here's how you can have an account!
Revoke LDS tax status
How to File a Complaint Asking the IRS to Revoke the LDS Church's Tax-Exempt Status
By making the passage of California's Proposition 8 a substantial part of its activities this year, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has violated nonprofit law. Because it has broken the law, it should be stripped of its 501(c)(3) non-profit tax-exempt status. This law will not be enforced unless complaints are filed against the LDS Church for its illegal activities.
Please consider filing a request with the IRS to take away the LDS Church's tax-exempt status. Here's what you need to do:
- Download a blank IRS complaint form and fill it out. This form can be downloaded from here.
- You will need to include documentation to show that the LDS Church has made lobbying for Proposition 8 a substantial part of its activities. Here are the documents you will need:
- A copy of the letter from the LDS Church Presidency to LDS Bishops, which was read aloud in all California State LDS Churches. It instructs members to "do all you can to support [Proposition 8] by donating of your means and time." Download and print the letter from here.
- A transcript of the confidential LDS Church satellite broadcast, which instructed members that they must support Proposition 8, set out a detailed "three-phase" Proposition 8 campaign plan, and which reiterated several lies about what would happen if Proposition 8 was not passed. Download and print the transcript here.
- A copy campaign planning document distributed by the church to LDS Church leaders. Download and print the document here. Please also print out a copy of this WikiLeaks page, which explains the significance and veracity of the document.
- A copy of this Daily Kos posting which includes scanned images that prove the LDS Church has been planning for the Proposition 8 campaign since at least 1997. Download and print the document here.
- Refer the IRS to this page, located on LDS.org, which includes links to various Proposition 8 campaign information, including a Proposition 8 propaganda video. This page was accessible starting 16 October 2008, and at least as late as 7 November 2008.
- Include a copy of the ABC News Story about how the LDS Church threatened to excommunicate a member for speaking out against Proposition 8. A PDF copy of this story can be downloaded here.
- A copy of the Salt Lake Tribune news story which states that the LDS Church donated $2,078.97 of church funds to the Proposition 8 campaign. Download ind print a PDF copy of this story here.
- Once you have filled out the IRS complaint form and prepared your supporting documentation, transmit your complaint and supporting documents to the IRS in one of the following ways:
- Email: Prepare your documents as PDF's or web links, and send your complaint form with supporting documentation to [email@example.com]. If sending your complaint as an email, you can simply copy and paste section 2 of these instructions into an email and attach your complaint form as PDF.
- Fax your documents to (214) 413-5415.
- Mail your documents to:
- IRS EO Classification
- Mail Code 4910DAL
- 1100 Commerce Street
- Dallas TX 75242-1198
- Once you have submitted your complaint, please consider signing these petitions to remove the LDS Church's 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status:
This site costs a lot of money in bandwidth and resources. We are glad to bring it to you free, but would you consider helping support our site by making a donation? Any amount would go a long way towards helping us continue to provide this useful service to the community.
Click on the Paypal button below to donate. Your support is most appreciated!